Author [EN] [PL] [ES] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [TR] [SR] [AR] [RU] Topic: How to become an expert in template creation?  (Read 3516 times)

Offline zappadoc

• Developers
  • Site Owner
  • No email or PM support
    • ZDoc Dev Blog
How to become an expert in template creation?
« on: January 07, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »

ok behind this weird subject I'm just going to give you in no particular order some tips and basic rules to help you to create your custom template

A template:
template at least is a simple json format file. a text description with a list of the object properties.

A template + image(s):
a template is usually associated with image(s)
the image object in VDASH-EMU doesn't contains the image data itself but a reference to the file path relative to "vdash_template" directory of your phone/tablet. This is very important when you share a template with images to explain in the installation where to put your images otherwise VDASH-EMU will fail to find the image when your template will be loaded.

the max image size must not exceed 940px width and 540 height
if you intend to create a dial gauge image I recommend to use a 540 x 540 size, PNG format 24bit, with transparency

zip archive and installation of your template:
a template alone can be shared as is but if you add an image and/or background image it's better to create a zip archive with all the elements in the same folder

here is an example, let say you create a Bugatti Veyron dashboard:

inside your vdash_template directory create a folder named:
Bugatti_Veyron

copy all images and background image inside the Bugatti_Veyron directory and start building your template, export the template when it is finished (you will find the exported template and its preview in vdash_template/exported/ directory)

you can create a zip archive which contains the Bugatti_Veyron folder with all your images, template and its preview inside the folder

the installation for the user is pretty simple,
extracting the zip archive
and copy the Bugatti_Veyron directory to its vdash_template directory
et voila!

The recommended MAX VALUE are:
Fuel Gauge(litters): capacity of tank is provided by the API you do not have to set a max value
RPM Gauge (rpm): max engine rpm is provided by the API you do not have to set the max value
Temp Gauge (celcius): default is 139
Volt Gauge(volt): default 20
Speed Gauge (kmh): depends the Speed Dial image used (default 360)
Turbo (psi or bar): default 30psi or 2bar

DO NOT USE SPACE in your path and in the name of your attachment

Image anti-aliasing:
The image object do his best to display the image using an anti-aliasing and other filter BUT you have to provide a good quality image,
I suggest to use Photoshop and export the the image with the integrated Web image export menu and choose the PNG24 format
Optionally, add to your image a 2 pixels black edge if the background is transparent like a DIAL image

REMINDER about images path:
Check the dependency of your images. The installation folder of your template MUST BE THE SAME as the initial directory used when you exported the template. So if you want to install your template pkg in
vdash_template/My_Super_Template/ 
then be sure all images on your template have been imported from this directory.

but don't worry if it is different for whatever reason,  you just have open the exported json file with Notepad++ text editor and replace the old path with the new.

for example if you edit the json and found:
vdash_template/pictures/my_logo.png

then just change to the correct path:
vdash_template/My_Super_Template/my_logo.png

Beware all images must not exceed 960 x 540 pixels, big images take a lot of memory and slowdown the EMU. check your images and resize them if they exceed the limit.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:27:10 AM by zappadoc »
  • My SLI Devices List:
    All SIM Display, All EMU's, Fanatec, Logitech, Thrustmaster
No support will be provided by PM or EMAIL, PM has been disabled due to heavy spam and abuse, please post in the support boards, thanks for your understanding.

Offline zappadoc

• Developers
  • Site Owner
  • No email or PM support
    • ZDoc Dev Blog
Re: How to become an expert in template creation?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »

The arrow gauge calibration

The arrow calibration is fairly easy for linear move of the arrow like 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 .... but more complicated when the gap is not same from 0 (zero) to the end of the dial, the MATH EVAL field parameter must be used to change the linear behavior... I suggest to start with linear curve / dial.

The calibration of fuel and temp gauge is easy as well, so let me explain in short what I do:

Fuel example
- first I launch the sim where the fuel load in tank is fully adjustable
- BEFORE entering the track I set the start and the end of the arrow (you must begin by the START as the END is relative to the start position)
- then I go to settings and fill completely the tank 100%
- then I go to the track and adjust the step to see the arrow to the max (this is dynamically updated so you can see the arrow moving)
- then I set the settings to the half 50% of fuel
- and go to track and check again if the arrow is at 50% and eventually adjust the STEP value

RPM example:
like the fuel calibrate START and END of the arrow before enter the track

then you have too choice:
1 you want to calibrate arrow to match the HUD of the game or simulation
2 calibrate to match the real RPM value

yes! the HUD sometime doesn't match the real engine rpm

1) adjust the STEP with the HUD on screen
or
2) create a temporary RPM Data object which indicate the current rpm value and calibrate the STEP to match this value

SPEED example:

set the SLIMax manager to the unit of your dial MPH or KPH (km/h)
and follow the same rules as RPM calibration but
define the max speed value FIRST
and obviously you have to move the car to adjust the STEP value to match the speed ;)
a car with Pit Limiter or set the game to pause could help

Cheers,
z
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:11:23 AM by zappadoc »
  • My SLI Devices List:
No support will be provided by PM or EMAIL, PM has been disabled due to heavy spam and abuse, please post in the support boards, thanks for your understanding.

Offline zappadoc

• Developers
  • Site Owner
  • No email or PM support
    • ZDoc Dev Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:06:34 AM »

Today a simple but useful tip for Car Signal Object:

Car Signal Object can be considered as LED and linked to one of the 6 MARSHAL or one of the 7 EXTERNAL and as such, they need to be configured from SLIMax Manager Pro in custom VDASH-EMU setup using the Advanced Options Panel  (see the FAQ and video tuto how to assign function to led).

This is a powerful assignment function and for example to let you lit up the FUEL Car Signal object when the low-fuel function is triggered...

okay but what about a SIMPLE ON/OFF STATE that doesn't require any computation and comes directly from telemetry?
like ABS/TRACTION CONTROL/HEADLIGHTS/ETC.

this state (named FLAG in VDASH-EMU) are directly available from VDASH-EMU editor and can be used in the MATH EVAL field to supersede any other led state. ;)

Here is 2 straightforward examples using the ABSLEVEL and TCLEVEL telemetry flag (to illustrate the example I use the great GTI template from LoW_LIFE )

So what?
eh simple as that, just enter the corresponding telemetry flag in the EVAL field (see the getting started section to find all data and flag available)

Now the usual warnings
: DATA and FLAG telemetry value must be supported by the API of the simulation or game to work...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
z
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:12:32 AM by zappadoc »
  • My SLI Devices List:

Offline zappadoc

• Developers
  • Site Owner
  • No email or PM support
    • ZDoc Dev Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:48:17 PM »

Click the link below to learn how to make a SQUARE RPM LED like in Mercerdes GT3 or Audi GT/LM

http://www.eksimracing.com/forum/index.php?topic=3177.msg13364#msg13364
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:14:41 AM by zappadoc »
  • My SLI Devices List:

Offline zappadoc

• Developers
  • Site Owner
  • No email or PM support
    • ZDoc Dev Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »
Image size in template:

Please do not use image size greater than 960 x 540 with your template!

Why?
1 this takes a lot of memory for nothing and will crash low-end hardware
2 VDASH-EMU is optimized to manage this 16:9 screen resolution
3 VDASH-EMU scales AUTOMATICALLY your image on monitor or tablet or smartphone using a greater resolution and it does this VERY WELL (thanks to OpenGL and anti-aliasing) see the full HD screenshot of the template below

So resize your images and review your template to be an EXPERT in template creation! :)

Cheers,
z
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:31:38 AM by zappadoc »
  • My SLI Devices List: